Hello, my beautiful Stage Mommies! It has been a while. Life happened and my site has taken a back seat. As they say, you have to live life to be able to write, right? Over a month ago, the first week of April to be exact, we went to the sunny island of Fuerteventura, Spain and this would explain why my May Five Faves are basically all about skincare.
Aside from religiously using anti-wrinkle and high SPF sun creams, I really do not have a rigid skin care routine. When we came back from our holiday in Spain, my skin needed a lot of TLC after so much exposure to the sun. I picked up a few skincare items, some random and some recommended and here are my thoughts about why they have become my skincare staples.
- L’oreal Cleansing Oil – Taking my makeup off in the evenings with soap and water does not really do my skin a favour. I have combination type skin but whenever I wash my face more than once a day, it tends to become dry despite using heavy moisturisers. I have been sceptical about oil cleansers as I cannot fathom how an oil based product can cleanse the skin especially removing makeup. I had the pleasure of trying a cleansing balm as it came with my Marks and Spencer Advent Calendar and since then I became a convert. That made me brave enough to buy and try a cleansing oil. This is my first cleansing oil product and it really does the trick of removing my makeup efficiently without drying out my skin.
- Nuxe Dry Oil – This dry oil has a cult following. Do not let the name scare you. It is a dry oil, yes but it does not dry your skin out. In fact, it does the exact opposite. I normally mix it with my facial moisturiser and with my body lotion to give me that extra moisture. It also gives my skin a hint of shimmer and it smells amazing.
- L’oreal Face Serum – Skin experts say that serums have the most potent dose of antioxidants that penetrates deeper into your skin compared to using moisturiser alone. Regular use can give your skin a smoother texture and increase moisture levels. I have used Estee Lauder’s Advance Night Repair before but it did not do anything to my skin. With L’oreal, I definitely notice that my skin is very supple and dewy in the morning. Considering this is a lot cheaper than the Estee Lauder serum, I can quite conclude that when it comes to skin care, the higher the price range does not always mean the better the result.
- La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50 – As we all know, the sun shines none stop which means we are still the recipient of its harmful rays even in the winter. This is why we should wear sun cream all year round. I have always used a daily moisturiser with SPF. In the summer and whenever we go on holiday to warmer countries, I double it up with sun cream. My makeup does not agree with normal sun creams, I have noticed. It does not seem to sit right with sun cream on. As La Roche Posay is ultra light, it enhances my makeup and makes it last longer. Plus, it has a very hight SPF 50. Goodbye, premature wrinkles.
- Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm – This cleansing balm is beautiful. It is very luxurious on the skin and the spa-like scent makes it so much better than it already is. It cleans my skin very well, removing all my makeup. After using it, I always feel like all the impurities have been sucked out of my skin leaving my skin soft and supple the next morning. Five stars!